16.4.10

My name is Brittney, and it has been less than 12 hours since my last post. Oh boy.

I heard something on the news the other day, (actually, that sentence was a complete lie. I watched TWO somethings on the news, whilst getting my haircut, the other day) that I considered interesting.

Firstly, residents of Halifax unknowingly paid over $600 000 towards the "Please Paul McCartney, come play in our city!" fund. I bet there are a lot of people who are unimpressed by that... but I don't think it's a big of deal as they're making it. For one, $600 000 divided amongst an entire city isn't too substantial... And come on, Paul McCartney was playing in your city, and you didn't GO?! But, this issue here isn't McCartney... I mean, I don't even like him that much... I like his music, and love the Beatles, but ol' Paulie is my least favourite. He's a freakin genius, and he knows it.

It's kinda like the Olympics. It cost us a crap load of money, (and the huge sparkly bear had me doubting for approximately 23 seconds), but wasn't it fun? The Olympics, I mean. When else have you ever felt so damn Canadian. It might take our country years to recover (look at Greece) but for the time being... I regret nothing. Nor do I resent one speck of those two weeks. Except for the sparkly bear. And, we all knew that it'd be expensive... but did we really have a say? At all? Maybe we did, this just occurred to me, and I don't know the answer. Is there a 'where will the Olympics be next' committee, with average, tax-paying representatives? But back to Halifax; what they're ticked about it that they just found out that they paid half a million buckaroos to a knight. Okay, fair enough.

The other thing was, U of T sent acceptance letters to over 160 applicants... accidentally. Followed up with a "we're sorry" email. I was accepted at U of T, and even though I'm not that excited about it, having that acceptance being recanted would be seriously depressing. This whole school thing is not fun, let me tell you. I got my little "We're sorry, but you have not been accepted at the Ontario College of Art and Design at this time, however, we will be watching enrolment closely, and if a spot becomes available you will be notified." letter the other day. But who gets accepted to OCAD and doesn't go? Dang. I wasn't really expecting to get in... but it would've been nice.

I'm posting now because I won't have any more time today... I'm sitting in a little café called The Human Bean in Cobourg, currently. I had a latte, which was most un good, (read, bad) and a butternut praline muffin that was good, good indeed. But, now I must return home and change, go to vocal jazz rehearsal, drive straight to work, try and get off work early, pick up Adam and Jane and Sean and go to my 23rd favourite city, Peterborough. To The Spill to see Quadratic FunkShun, a groovin funk band (surprise surprise) and Candlecave Ensemble, a sweet indie (in every sense of the word... indie as in back when that just mean unsigned, and indie as in the genre) band with a trombone and a violin, amongst the conventional rock instruments. Lotsa lotsa fun.

Happy Birthday Miranda!

say hello to your doctor
love,
Toby Celery