15.4.10

I've haven't posted for a few days, because... well, 'I was blogging' isn't really an excuse to miss... anything. But, I've been thinking about it. I got home last night, and wrote down everything I had thought to write about so I wouldn't forget. That's dedication, sister. Except, now I have so many things to write about, this is gunna be the hugest post ever, and I reckon nary a reader will persevere to the end.


I returned home, which leads one to believe I was on a wild and crazy adventure... Tru dat. I went to Toronto and stayed with the lovely Newcombe's, and Beccah did my grad photos. Cool stuff, hopefully I'll have some soon. We did the classic long-sleeved black t-shirt in the distillery kind of stuff... and then I put on my crazy Betsey Johnson dress, and two crinolines, and we went to the beach. And a gay model told me he thought my dress was hot. I don't understand.


Hopefully I'll be moving in with them (the Newcombes, not the gay model) in the fall, that'd be ideal. Life there would consist of photography, coffee, good food, and good music. And city lovin. I partook in the greatest Thai food known to man, in my travels; Suko Thai, I think? Red chicken curry is my staple, and this was delightful. Creamier, more flavourful and just yummier than EVER baby. But then I went exploring, just north of the distillery... I was scared, man. I was lucky to have made it out alive. Evidently, white girls in skirts don't just wander aimlessly around there... We'll leave it at that, but there were some close calls.


Prior to the big smoke, I went to the movies, alone. And I was entirely okay with that. I saw Date Night, (ironic?) to write a review for the paper... I don't know how I lucked out, and scored a co op that supplies free movie tickets. And it was actually kind of funny, and Tina Fey is damn sexy. But, back to going to the movies alone.


There seems to be a sort of stigma associated with this sort of thing... and I was conscious of that. But, I sat in the middle (i.e. didn't go hide at the back so no one could judge me) and laughed out loud. I didn't even take a notebook to make it apparent I was writing a review. Even though afterwards I wished I had, for convenience sake. I really do wonder if people were going "oh look at that poor girl, she was stood up" or wondering who in their right mind goes to the movies alone... but, if I think about it this way, I probably wouldn't have noticed someone walking in by themselves, and sitting in front of me. And by the way, the only people I like enough to ask to go with me are in a relationship, or would get the wrong idea. I'm in a really strange social scene right now.


But, moving on to the next item on the agenda: CBC Radio 2. I have one true love. And that is The Drive Home with Rich Terfry. I love this guy. And I haven't checked to see if he choses what to play, which is unlikely, BUT, he makes it sound like he does. Even if he doesn't, he knows about what he's playing, loves what he's playing, and makes you love it too. And, he's a cheeseball. And, there are no commercials. One more reason I love CBC? This is how the news started the other afternoon: "Well, the Canadian dollar is really on a tear this week!", followed by the professional economist's input, "Ah yes, that is attributed to, amongst other things, Canada selling a lot of stuff overseas". Layman's terms at their finest.


During my Toronto radio station surfing (there's a time and a place for classical music, but I'm not always up for CBC's Mozart at Midday,) I heard some husky voiced president of The Bay announcing the release of the new Balenciaga fragrance, the first from the designer in fifty years. I was intrigued by the pure sophistication of it all... and so I stopped by The Bay at Yorkdale, and gave it a good ol whiff. Well, it smelled like every other perfume I've ever smelled... and so I just unwittingly tossed the little card into my purse. Which now smells a. m. a. zing.




And, I love this ad. You can see how every piece of inspiration is carried over into the creation of the fragrance. The violet scent IS  revamped and modernized, like the husky voice lady said. And the stopper draws from the marble, and the stone on the left... I enjoyed it immensely. And the beautiful singer-songwriter-actress Charlotte Gainsborough looks so demure and whimsical... I love her hair in this. Oh, to be someone's muse... 

On the note of fragrance, there are very few that I have even considered purchasing. Or, asking for for Christmas. And they are as follows:




Vera Wang Princess. Before it was cheapened and all Rock Princess and whatever, it was really classy, but young. And Camilla Belle is a babe. Very warm, vanilla-y... I still wear it on occasion, but not so much now that that lame-oh schmame-oh new versions have come out. 




Ralph Lauren Rocks. It really does. Citrus and vanilla. Love it. I didn't know anything about the campaign when I stumbled upon this one, it just smells so dang good. It she is lookin pretty fiercely bohemian, which I'm all about. 



Burberry The Beat. I was first interested because I love Agyness Deyn, (naturally) and have always had a thing for Burberry and smokin hot English male models. Then, the whole inspiration behind the fragrance, and the name... I'm a huge Jack Kerouac fan, and the last four digits of my cell number spell BEAT. Anyway, I eagerly awaited the arrival of this scent in Canada, and was pleasantly... not surprised. It smelled how I expected it to, it was strange. Very silvery, edgy, modern... Not soft, but still warm. I wear it often, but it's not very strong, and is usually gone by midday... 




And, last, but certainly not least, Betsey Johnson. The lack of good campaign shots has inspired me to do my own... I never actually bought this one, although I probably would've very soon, had it not been given to me. Due to some shipping mix up, I ended up with two of the same dress I ordered... and when I took one back to Betsey Johnson in Yorkville, cutesy little gay Greg was so happy that I returned it, he gave me a bunch of free stuff. Including a huge bottle of this delightful perfume. It's very strong as can be expected from Betsey. It has a hint of... liquorice, maybe? But I hate liquorice. Hm. It's a very pink smell, very intense... (I'm sorry, non synthesists.) I wear it all of the time. Unfortunately, so does my mother. Oh, and once, in a fit of insanity, I bought that Hilary Duff perfume. I was like, 13, and it DOES smell good. It's very warm, and velvety, without smelling like "vanilla body spray". But, we won't speak of this again. 

Well, there are a million more things I've written to blog about, but I fear this has exceeded tolerable length. To be continued... 

say hello to your doctor
love, 
Toby Celery