1.4.10

I've been thinking more about this muse thing. It seems like such a whimsical, mysterious thing to be someone's muse... Andy Warhol's Edie Sedgwick, Bob Dylan's Sara Lowndes, heck, even Chris Martin's Gwyneth Paltrow... But to have a muse seems to be necessary to be an artist. And sorry, straight as I am, guys just aren't that inspiring. Or maybe I just haven't met the right one. But women have a far more artistic, creative sort of sense around them... Maybe because I can relate to them directly. I can see someone (a girl) wearing something fabulous, and think, yeah, I can do that. I have guy friends that are brilliant musicians. Unbelievable for their age... and I appreciate that, but it is the female musicians that inspire me to better myself. Oh, I got it. Competition. So that eliminates everything I thought was 'muse' like about this whole thing; creativity shouldn't stem from competition...

Okay, different angle. I was reading Emma the other day, by Jane Austen. Emma develops this infatuation with Harriet, a young, naive and beautiful girl who moves to her area. She describes her beauty and her charm, and it doesn't come across as sexual, even though the exact same words from a man's perspective would. In Austen's time, that wouldn't have even been considered. But if I wrote something like that now, people would immediately speculate about a fling. This whole free lovin thing is so mainstream... It's kinda too bad I s'pose, that people are so forcedly open-minded, that the reaction would be "oh yeah, they probably had a thing for each other... to each their own..."In the novel, Emma is entirely open about how she feels about Harriet... although her confidence is astounding... and no one thinks anything of it. If I were to go around telling people about this person, and what a beautiful, uninhibited figure she was, without a speck of resent or jealousy, simply appreciation, people would write me off as a lesbian. It's a strange thing, this world.

Well, my brother's watching Dr. Horrible, and I want to join him.




I hold a Phd in Horribleness.
See you at the aftermath.
Peace. Not... actually...